Watches symbolize more than just utility and are an example of taste and character. Finding the perfect watch is a top style priority , and so here is Force One Magazine’s selection of the best watches for 2017. Watches are a reflection of personal style, which one matches yours?
GET THE SKELETON OUT OF YOUR CLOSET, AND ONTO YOUR WRIST
Because fine watchmaking is an art form, skeleton watches unveil their hidden beauty. Not only does the open construction show the mechanism behind the timepiece, but it also allows us to admire the complex, intriguing, inner working of the watches, almost hypnotic in motion. Mixing functionality with fashion, Skeleton watches are perfect for those who appreciate the appearance of stylish watches and the savoir-faire that goes into making them. They are unique and turn ordinary into extraordinary. If you want a good-looking, strikingly technical watch, have a look at our selection of the best skeleton watches for 2017.
Hublot Classic Fusion Ultra-Thin Skeleton Titanium / Tissot T-Complication Squelette / Tag Heuer Carrera Heuer 01 Full Black Ceramic 2017
• Hublot Classic Fusion Ultra-Thin Skeleton Titanium: The Hublot Classic Fusion Ultra-Thin Skeleton Titanium watch is a beautiful mix between the traditional art of watchmaking and the 21st century. Attractive, modern and masculine, this watch has a lot of character. This classic design, with its 45mm titanium case and a sapphire dial, shows the inner workings of the watch. If the appearance of this Hublot timepiece isn’t enough for you, the skeleton movement also features an impressive 90-hour power reserve. Price: 14.800 €
• Tissot T-Complication Squelette: The skeleton concept is not new, but the Tissot TComplication Squelette was definitely created with a sense of contemporary design. Tissot lets us admire the difficulty of watchmaking without disrupting the style by putting a hand-wound, mechanical skeleton movement visible through the dial. With a stainless steel case of 43mm in diameter and a black leather strap, this watch screams luxury. Price: 1.690 €
• Tag Heuer Carrera Heuer 01 Full Black Ceramic 2017: The CARRERA HEUER-01 Full Black Ceramic is the new piece from Tag Heuer, introduced during the SIHH (Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie) in Geneva. Totally matt black, this chronograph is entirely in ceramic (bracelet included). This material offers high scratch-resistance and keeps the original colour forever, doesn’t oxidise and is lighter than steel. Sleeker than ever, the brand’s current best-seller has attained the highest level of quality for our own pleasure. Price: 5.650 €
OH MY GOLD!
As a representation of power, gold will never get old, even more so when used to create watches. The reflection of the shimmering metal on your skin, reminiscent of sunshine, makes gold one of the most iconic tone for watches. Timeless and refined, it’s the perfect piece for any occasion.
Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer Manufacture / Rolex Ostyer Perpetual Day-Date 40 / Piaget Altiplano G0A40113
• Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer Manufacture: Ulysse Nardin extends its iconic collection of marine watches with this Marine Chronometer Manufacture. Available in 18k rose gold, with a generous case of 43mm in diameter, the solid lugs and screw-locked crown give a water resistance of 100meters. With large Arabic numerals to facilitate timekeeping when beneath the waves, the rubber strap is also available in black or blue alligator, or in 18k gold or stainless steel – there is a style to suit everyone. As always, Ulysse Nardin never disappoints. Price: 29.900 €
• Rolex Oyster Perpetual Day-Date 40: Often regarded as a statement of one’s biggest success, this classic watch has been worn by Presidents, pilots, artists and… you? Available in 18k gold or 950 platinum, this timepiece is the first one to post the date and the day of the week spelled out in full and in a choice of 26 languages. Modern, gold, and a timeless piece of exceptional-quality. Price: 31.500 €
• Piaget Altiplano G0A40113: Presented at the Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie, the very lastest in the Piaget collection pays tribute to the 60th anniversary of their iconic Altiplano collection. This extra-thin Altiplano model is dressed for the first time with a gold bracelet; a must-have. Available in 38mm in diameter with a 18k rose gold case and bracelet, the watch brings a daily comfort and harmony. The mechanical movement offers a margin reserve of 48 hours. This is a watch that confers elegance and subtlety. Price: 33.000 €
PILOT WATCHES: HOW TIME FLIES
Practical not only for their impressive features but also for their design, pilot watches are a worthy piece to add to your collection. Inspired by aviation, this is a dream that anyone can own. Sit back and relax as we take you through a lovely flight to see the best pilot watches to purchase in 2017.
Bell & Ross – BR 03-94 Desert Type Ceramic / Patek Philippe – Calatrava Pilot Time (ref 5524) / IWC – Mark XVIII Top Gun Miramar
• Bell & Ross – BR 03-94 Desert Type Ceramic: Specially designed for aircraft pilots, the BR 03 Desert Type Ceramic defies time. Equipped with the chronograph function, this watch becomes a tool for measuring short bursts of time. Bell&Ross chose ceramic to design the black case, an innovative and high-tech material which can withstand very high temperatures, a desert for instance. The anti-reflective sapphire crystal promises a high resistance to the most robust of blows while the dial is easily readable from its military branding. This piece is also suitable for travellers and lovers of watches with strong character. From the cockpit to the wrist, the BR 03 Desert Type meets the adventurer’s specifications. Price: 4.990 €
• Patek Philippe – Calatrava Pilot Time (ref 5524): Patek Philippe pays tribute to aviation pioneers of old in his Pilot Time collection. This reliable and precise masculine timepiece has a second, and convenient, time zone to keep track of time at home when travelling. The 42 mm diameter dial is blue varnish with golden numerals with luminescent coating. The bracelet is in vintage brown calf leather to add to its classic appeal. Patek Philippe has updated his classic collection of traditional aesthetics with the addition of small details such as the dial, the case, and the simultaneous display of two time zones. Price: 43.210 €
• IWC – Mark XVIII Top Gun Miramar: IWC brings reminisces those famous aviators from the movie Top Gun with the Mark XVIII Top Gun Miramar watch. The colour of the military green khaki dial combines with an anthracite color case of 44mm in diameter. It’s worn with an embossed green calfskin bracelet that harmonizes the design of this model and recalls the action of the eponymous film with the « Top Gun » logo on the back of the watch along with « United States Navy » and « Fighter Weapons School ». The self-winding movement mechanism is housed in a ceramic housing with a special iron protection against magnetic fields and dust. The watch has a chronograph and date display. Price: 5.950 €
The wooden watch may be your ideal timepiece. This accessory adds a little nature to your life ,and completes any stylish and unique outfit. Indeed, this unusual material for watches bring an edge to any look. Lightweight and eco-friendly, you can touch wood whenever you want.
Bell & Ross – BR-X1 Instrument De Marine / WeWood – Laguna Noce / WoodWatch – Core MapleWood 45mm
• Bell & Ross – BR-X1 Instrument De Marine: Always seeking innovation, Bell & Ross links past and present with this timepiece – limited to just 99pieces. Inspired by contemporary naval history, this chronograph is endowed with an automatic skeleton movement, admired through its slightly gray tinted sapphire glass. This is a mechanism of quality. The 45mm box combines precious wood and bronze, giving it a Steampunk look. Its gold-plated skeleton hands with Superluminova inserts spikes on the hour, minutes, seconds while the 30min chronograph counter disc is golden aluminum. The date is skeletonized at 6 o’clock. The BR-X1 Marine Instrument is an original-looking watch with a magical touch of wood. Price: 23.000 €
• WeWood – Laguna Noce: Made from historical Venetian Briccola wood, this very contemporary timepiece provides a rustic feeling in its geometric features. Utilising premium Swiss Movement, the Laguna Noce features windows for military hours and days of the week which are totally adjustable. This large, round case measures 46mm with a scratch-proof mineral glass for those who like adventure. The wood chosen makes an object of desire for the most important wood craftsmen in the world. WeWood creates a functional eco wood watch making a stylish option for your wrist. Price: 355 €
• WoodWatch – Core MapleWood 45mm: WoodWatch combines the finesse of natural maple wood with an unadorned design to enhance its ‘natural feel’. This timepiece can vary in color from maple beige to ebony black. By choosing the color you want, you choose the wood. The 45 mm case presents the essence of natural wood combined with a simple and refined design. Ensuring quality, the Swiss Ronda brand is the heart of every watch. The bracelet is also adjustable with other bracelets from the CORE collection for a color mix and is fully customizable. A major advantage of wooden watches is that they are often light, easy to wear, and affordable. Best quality / price if you want to stay eco-friendly. Price: 119 €
DIVER WATCHES: UNDER THE SEA
Specially designed for underwater activities, diver watches have surpassed the traditional technology. Combining appealing aesthetics with functionality, this type of watch has a water resistance of 200-300 meters, perfect for underwater exploration. With classic designs, there is no restriction of what you can wear it with. Take your scuba mask and let’s dive!
Ulysse Nardin – Diver Chronograph Artemis Racing / Rolex Oyster Perpetual Sea-Dweller 4000 / Aquadive Bathysphere 500
• Ulysse Nardin – Diver Chronograph Artemis Racing: The Swiss watchmaker pays tribute to the maritime know-how and collaborates with the Artemis Racing team, limiting the Diver Chronograph Artemis Racing watch to just 250 pieces. This timepiece is a true diving watch that will allow you to descend to 200 meters without any issue. The dial’s Superluminova luminescent hands improve visibility in darker areas, allowing you to keep track of time the deeper you go. The details of the watch reveal its marine DNA; Wave-shaped cutouts, fine engravings of the famous catamaran on the dial, and the Artemis Racing logo on the meter and the bracelet. Its 46mm diameter stainless steel housing is rubber coated providing great flexibility. Price: 10.800 €
• Rolex Oyster Perpetual Sea-Dweller 4000: Rolex conquers the sea with this legendary watch that never ceases to charm us. Waterproof up to 1,220 meters, the Sea-Dweller 4000 with a diameter of 40 mm is the biggest of the latest innovations from Rolex. Cerachrom scratch-resistant ceramic bezel, long-life Chromalight display, Oysterlock safety clasp or Rolex Glidelock bracelet extension system, the brand’s quality is displayed in all its splendor. The Sea-Dweller is equipped with a self-winding mechanical movement and, like all Rolex Perpetual watches, has successfully passed the COSC tests ensuring the precision of the chronometer. Price: 9.500 €
• Aquadive Bathysphere 500: The Bathysphere 500, a new model from Aquadive, has a lot to offer. Showing a 100% German case of 43mm and water resistance to 500 meters, this watch is highly reliable for water performances. This timepiece has an extremely stable and strong amplitude thanks to the Swiss Made High-End movement from the Horologists at Fleurier, Parmigiani and Vaucher, with automatic movement from twin barrels. Price: 3.490 €